Monday, December 7, 2015

Service Learning Project Debrief (Critical Reflection)

Within my Writing for Business course with Dr. Lance Cummings we were assigned a Service Learning Project. This project allows us to work collaboratively with our other classmates and utilize all of the concepts covered throughout the course. Through this project I have learned how to work with others electronically. In my other course, majority of the time I met in person with my other partners on an assignment, but with this class being solely online I had to rely on the perks of google drive.  I believe that working collaboratively online for this project has created an addition to my skill set. Being that I am pursuing a career in Clinical Research, where all projects and assignments are online, I feel as though I’ve learned a lot about what to expect in the near future. Within this type of career, I will be in communication with people all over the world and working on conjoined assignments with them; therefore, it was very beneficial for me to enroll in this course and complete this service learning project.
There are a few outcomes depicted in our course syllabus that I feel apply to this service learning project . For example, per our syllabus,  “Identify how digital technologies and contexts influence business writing and consider critically the unique affordance and constraints of diverse modalities of writing (alphabetic, visual, aural) and social media. (WI 2, WI 4)”, and “Learn strategies for collaborating with colleagues in online and culturally diverse environments.”  Throughout this course I have learned a lot about how the three rhetorical appeals affect social media presence. We have also recently discussed visual rhetoric and have applied this concept to our project as well. I feel that these ideas covered in the course have helped me to gain a better understanding of all the components that play a part in how social media is perceived and maintained in the business world. Before this class, I never thought about all the effort it takes to create a well-rounded social media presence.
        Collaboration with colleagues is another skill I gained from this project. In my other course I was usually able to meet with my assigned partners to discuss the ins and out of our project, but in this course that wasn’t possible. As a team, we solely relied on google drive as we collectively edited and added information to the project. We also utilized email if we had any questions or concerns. In some aspects we did fail to communicate. That was simply because of busy schedules, and the timing of us all being at our computers. Sometimes it would take a few days to get a response to an email or to respond to comments left on the project. In the end, I feel that my colleagues and I came together and produced a well-rounded analysis of Nest Realty.
From this service learning project I learned everything I intended to and more. In the beginning, I was eager to see how Nest utilized the three rhetorical appeals in correlation with their social media presence. By the end of this project, I had a clear understanding of how Nest portrays itself as credible, and what tactics they could use in order for them to enhance their ethos within social media.  I also learned the importance and benefits of being able to electronically collaborate with others. Since this project was an analysis of Nest Realty’s social media presence, I feel that my partners and I had to focus on the influence visual rhetoric, ethos, pathos, and logos had on their social media presence, and what we would suggest to them in order to broaden their scope within social media. For example, we suggested that Nest make it mandatory for all of their employees to create and maintain a LinkedIn profile page. We felt that this would create a better ethos for the company, and would also promote a better relationship with a prospective client and employer. If a client is able to look up the credentials of a realtor then they will be more likely to feel comfortable with buying or selling a home with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment